School Governors, as members of the Governing Body, are responsible for the strategic development and direction of a school. An effective Governing body is a ‘critical friend’ and works closely in a supportive way with the Headteacher and school staff, whilst at the same time ensuring that an appropriate level of challenge is maintained.
The Governing Body sets the strategic direction of the school, sets out school policies which are implemented by the Headteacher and staff and oversees the management of the school budget.
The Governing Body is responsible for setting targets for pupil achievements at specific key stages, and monitors the progress of the school in meeting these targets.
Governors fall into a number of categories:
- Parent Governors, who are parents of children in school, and who are elected by the current parents
- Teacher/Staff Governors, members of staff, elected by the teaching and support staff
- LA Governors, appointed by the Local Authority (LA)
- Community Governors, members of the local community, appointed by the Governing Body
- Associate Governors, appointed by the Governing Body, but with limited voting rights
- Headteacher – the Headteacher is normally a member of the Governing Body, and reports to the Governing Body about the school’s activities and performance.
Glasllwch’s Governing Body currently consists of:
|Stephen Morris||Chair of Governors / Community Governoremail@example.com|
|Simon Morrish||Vice Chair / Community Governor|
|Beth Rice||Parent Governor|
|Shafiq Mohammed||Parent Governor|
|Farzana Mohammed||Parent Governor|
|Hannah Hamnett||Parent Governor|
|Matthew Evans||LA Governor|
|Ruth Jones||LA Governor|
|Ann Ferris||LA Governor|
|Ruth Cornelius||Teacher Governor|
|Sean Cullen||Staff Governor|
|James Birchall||Community Governor|
|Jenny Munslow||Deputy Head / Associate Governor|
|Gareth Jones||Associate Governor|
Interested in becoming a Governor? Being a Governor is interesting, often fun, sometimes challenging, and helps ensure that Glasllwch continues to be a vibrant, happy and successful school. If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Governor at Glasllwch, please contact Mrs Jackson at school, our current Chair Stephen Morris (contact details above), or Governor Support at Newport City Council 01633 656656. You will be most welcome!